Challah bread should be on everyone’s recipe list, and with
Hanukkah just around the corner we wanted to share this clean and delicious recipe with you! Let's put our braiding skills to the test!
4 ¾ cups + 4 1/2-5 cups all-purpose flour, divided
2 ½ cups warm water, divided
1 package active dry yeast
2 Tbsp granulated sugar, divided
2 tsp Natierra Himalania Fine Pink Salt
3 Tbsp coconut oil
1 egg + 1 egg white + 1 egg yolk
2 ½ cups whole-wheat flour
1 serving cooking spray
1 Tbsp water
1 ½ Tbsp sesame seeds
1. Mix 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, 1/4 cup warm water, yeast, and 1 Tbsp sugar. Let stand at room temperature until the mixture begins to bubble (approximately 15 min).
2. In the meantime, stir together 2 cups all-purpose flour, the remaining Tbsp sugar, and our Natierra Himalania Fine Pink Salt in a large bowl. Add the remaining 2 1/4 cups warm water, yeast mixture, coconut oil, egg, and egg white. Mix with an electric mixer on low to medium speed for 30 seconds, constantly scraping the sides of the bowl. Mix on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in whole-wheat flour and the remaining all-purpose flour.
3. Place dough on a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining all-purpose flour to make the dough a little stiff but smooth and elastic (6 to 8 minutes total).
4. Cover the dough and allow to rest for 15 minutes.
5. Knead the dough a little more and cover. Allow to rest for 15 minutes and knead again. Coat a very large bowl with cooking spray; add the dough and spray the top as well until coated. Cover and allow to rise in a warm place until double in size (for approximately 1 hour).
6. Press down the dough; cover and allow to rise again for 45 minutes. Press down the dough and divide into two portions. Cover and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Divide each portion into three. Roll each portion on a lightly floured surface to obtain a 14-inch-long rope. Place the ropes on a very large baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Using three ropes for each loaf, braid the ropes into two loaves. Make sure the braids are at least 5 inches apart.
7. Cover the loaves and allow to rise in a warm place until nearly double in size (approximately 45 minutes). Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
8. Combine egg yolk and 1 tablespoon water in a small bowl; brush the surface of the loaves with the mixture and sprinkle with sesame seeds or any other seed of your liking.
9. Bake the loaves for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 375 F. Bake for another 15 to 20 minutes or until the bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from baking sheet and allow to cool down on a wire rack.
10. Enjoy and don't forget to tag us on Instagram @NatierraSuperfoods 😉!